Forum discussion guidelines
We recommend members of The Staffroom follow this guidance while using our chat room.
- Be careful who you trust online, and remember that some online ‘friends’ are really strangers.
- Keep your personal information secret when completing your profile or chatting online (name, address, telephone number, mobile number, private email address, picture), even if people ask for this.
- Remember that you can always log out to avoid unwelcome situations, or change your screen name.
- Do not hesitate to block people you do not want to chat to.
- Think before you answer private messages.
- Do not use your real name – but instead a nickname (but not one that will attract the wrong type of attention).
- Take action if you think your friends are at risk.
- Learn how to keep/save a copy of the conversation in chat – this may be useful if you want to report something.
- Report people breaking the rules to the chatroom provider.
- Take care if meeting in person someone you have only been in touch with online. Tell a family member or friend and consider taking them with you – at least on the first visit. Meet and remain in a public place. Always have a mobile phone with you which is switched on. Stay sober. Take care of your personal belongings.